Friday, September 11, 2015

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six : Vegas Video Game Review



Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six : Vegas is a video game by Ubisoft Montreal based upon the Splinter Cell books by "Tom Clancy". Vegas was released in 2006 on the Xbox 360 and PC. In 2007 it was released for the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation Portable. It is a first person shooter which has you commanding a squad of two that you lead to complete each mission.



As you can tell by the title this game is mostly set within Las Vegas. Your name is Logan Keller and you command a Rainbow team. Your goal is to capture the terrorist leader Irena Morales.



The game, right off the bat, is pretty hard. I have no problem beating the Calls Of Duty or Battlefield on veteran but on this one I had to lower the difficulty to play it. Even on the easier setting it is hard with many enemies getting one shot kills on you. After playing the game on the harder level I had enough and quit but I recently tried it again on the easier setting and was able to get though it, it was still hard but not impossible.

The game consists of six levels to play through and includes checkpoints through out the levels. I found the best way to play the game was to order your soldiers ahead to allow you to find where the enemies are and then attack them. If you send yourself through a door without knowing what's behind the door is usually suicide. The game has some nicely designed areas where you need to think before you leap or your squad will be killed very quickly. I also found that it was a must to be equipped with smoke grenades to help you to get around.



Another reason to send your squad in before you is that if they are "killed" they can be saved if you get to them quickly enough. If you go down it's game over so it makes sense to send them in first. If you have one guy up you can order him to save your other team member but it does take longer for him to do it than you. I did have a bit of a problem healing these guys. The controls are similar to Call Of Duty but not the same and when I would move up to a downed guy I would hit the crouch button but in this game that button throws a grenade which would kill my guys. I did this quite a lot to be truthful. Also you don't use the same button to aim down the sights of your gun as you do in Call Of Duty. It took me a bit to deal with these changes but I was able to get use to them.



As this is an earlier seventh generation video game the graphics don't look as good as other games launched near the end of the seventh generation. At times the game would take time to load the graphics as you played and the walls and floors were smooth with no texture. I also came across a few glitches like an enemy was on a machine gun mount but his body was hidden behind a wall so the gun appeared to be firing by itself and I couldn't stop him. I also had a problem a few times with where I had to go. There is a way point marker on the screen at all times but I had trouble finding out how to get there. It took some backtracking before I discovered what I had to do. I think a little better game design would have helped.

The music in the game is pretty good. At times it reminded me of the music to Mass Effect.



Like some of the other games I've reviewed recently this game is full of product placement. In one level you fight your way through a video arcade and most of the cabinets are for fake games but you do get the occasional Splinter Cell game, which from a story standpoint really makes no sense.


This game also is in some kind of alternate reality where all the vehicles within it's world are made by Dodge.


I understand why game makers do it but for me it wrecks the immersion for me. I know it's a stupid thing to complain about but I hate it.

After I changed the games difficulty I found I really enjoyed this game. Anyone who has played and enjoyed first person shooters should like this game. I liked that you have to use a bit more strategy than in a Call Of Duty game. I rate this game a 7 out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...